I’m getting to a stage in my career where I’m beginning to realize that some of my biggest growth happens when I’m doing nothing but thinking.
But, I did leave my head a few times this week and found a few interesting things to share.
- Quote I’m thinking about: “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand
- If you’re reading this in the US, please vote. If you’re not in a mail-to-vote state (or even if you are), there’s likely relevant information here.
- This article that asks, Is it time to bring data to managing? brought back a few memories of the awful performance management at msft – along with some reasonable ideas on doing better.
- Also on the leadership front is this article on leading with love (actual title is less fluffy). It reminds me of the care personally aspect of Radical Candor, which is something I continually try to do better.
- I love solving debugging mysteries and figuring out those WTF moments in software. I found this article on debugging an AWS issue that was fun to follow. One punchline – “Why Amazon S3 returns two different errors for the same problem is beyond me, but that’s not important here.“